Friday, June 17, 2016

Your Thoughts Wanted on 9 Pieces of Advice

I enjoy reading the work of David Guerin and recently he crafted a post entitled 9 Pieces of Advice Every Teacher Should Ignore. In this post he took on some conventional wisdom for teachers and identified the flaws with the wisdom behind this thinking.

Personally, I agree with all of his statements. I would also add a 10th item that I often hear from veteran teachers: "Just use your lesson plans from last year." While there are elements that I use from year to year, I never just blindly use something from the past without examination and reflection. Why would I only plug in something with the past without considering my learners for that year. As a colleague of mine likes to say, "Do you want to be teaching 25 years or one year 25 times." For an educator to do the latter is unjustifiable, in my opinion.

What do you think of this list? Agree? Disagree? Are there items you would delete? Add? Share your thoughts as a comment to this post.


No comments:

Post a Comment