I don't want to pretend that I have compiled comprehensive resources on this topic, but here are a few articles I have identified and find intriguing on this topic:
- 5 Steps for Student Note Taking Success
- Research on Student Note Taking
- A Learning Secret: Don't Take Notes With a Laptop
- Study Smarter, Learn Better
Fellow educators, based on your experiences and the research that you have seen, I am interested in your answers to the following questions to advance this discussion.:
1. Under what circumstances, if any, would you allow students to photograph class notes, and what is the rationale for this approach?
2. What are approaches you use for formative assessments of notes to ensure that students are creating something of value?
3. What are both your understanding of note taking research and your anecdotal observations about the note taking process, how how do those inform your work in the classroom?
Please share any thoughts as a comment to this post. I would love to see a robust discussion and resources sharing to commence on this topic.