Here are some notes and quotes that I gleaned from my time at this boot camp. While I was helping to facilitate this event, it was a time for learning for me as well. These notes and quotes are listed in no particular order. I hope you find something of relevance and interest in this list:
- "Chaotic control" is what should be happening in a classroom where there are rich learning and inquiry activities.
- "Failure means something different when one plays a game using technology. The computer does not make a judgment."
- How could teachers learn and your learning community be enhanced if students provided professional development for teachers from time to time?
- When starting a pilot program of any kind, start where there is fertile ground.
- Take a look at blendedlearning.org for ideas and strategies for implementing blended learning.
- Great formative assessment question: On a scale of 1 to 10, how are you feeling about what we are doing? What needs to be done to move this up a notch or two?
- "Nail it before you scale it."
- One high school I know is using Schmoop to assist the preparation for SAT, ACT, and AP tests.
- Keep asking, "What do we want our graduates to look like and be?"
Finally, adapting school and classroom design while still teaching may feel a little like this: