Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Grace and Joy in Struggle

I really appreciated this post from friends whose family recently embraced the call to serve at the Lutheran international school in Hanoi, Vietnam. There is a lot we all can learn from this attitude and approach to life.

Here is a quick section from this provocative post:

Students try particular strategies, (like I tried addresses, maps, and asking) that may or may not be effective. Students must then decide if they will continue on or remain where they are in learning. I think my daughter reminding me of the sensation of sweet success put me in the correct frame of mind to persist. How can I do that for my students? How do I avoid the error my son almost made with the cicada by "helping" the wrong way? I have decided this year I will be especially mindful of creating challenging, yet success yielding situations for my students, as well so that the gift of struggle will yield the gift of growth.

By the way, if you want to follow their adventures at Twitter, get their updates from @winterstein13 and @WonderingWinter.

No comments:

Post a Comment